From June 1-30, 2015 we will run our first summer camp at Janwahr Castle.
Janwaar Castle is a project of we_school and can briefly be described as a learning environment with a skateboarding park in its core. It’s located in Janwaar near Panna, a small buzzling town in Madhya Pradesh, Central India. In the village there are about 250 – 300 kids.
The summer camp is the first activity of its kind in Janwaar. Three of us – Yogesh, a local scholar from Khajuraho who speaks good English, Vivek, a Teach for India fellow, and me. We will run daily early morning sessions (until 10 am) with the kids and late afternoon sessions (6 – 7.30 pm).
The main goal of the camp is to teach the kids English – so the camp language will be English! The kids of course can answer and talk in Hindi or their local dialect.
And we’ll have guests joining us:
Laura, a friend from Bombay who is native Scottish and an excellent violinist. She will conduct music sessions and hopefully give a concert in front of the Khajuraho Temples.
Mamaji (a local tour guide, actually the best you can find in Khajuraho) will join us for Indian mythology and history sessions.
Children from Kunderpura – an Adivasi village close by – will visit us.
The Maharaj of Panna will come and tell stories of the past.
The kids will learn English in face-to-face session with Vivek, we have tablets with English learning programs, we have dictionaries, English books and we hopefully will have one or two whiteboards. Besides English learning we organize nature walks, we will build dustbins for the skatepark and pillars for two swings, we paint, play and dance and we will take the kids to Panna National Tiger Park which is close by but the kids never had a chance to go there. And of course there will be lots of skateboarding !
The entire endeavor is calculated with 2,30.000 INR or 3000 Euros and I do need your help !
Here is a list (things_we_need_mit) where you can see what we need and how we will spent the mn see what we need and how we will spent the money – it includes very precise donation packages such as:
– 5 English books for either 1000 INR or 1500 INR or
– 3 dictionaries for 3000 INR or
– paint and brushes (1000 – 2000 INR)
– paper (2000 INR)
– a jeep for the Tiger Safari (6500 INR) or
– costs for skateboarding teachers (5000 INR) or
– snacks, milk and fruits (from 1000 – 2800 INR) or
1000 INR are app. 14 Euros, maybe a little less.
Just let us know what you like most to support!
100% of the money will be used for the case you mention.
Please make transfers payable to:
Account name: Ulrike Reinhard
nature: we_school summer camp / case you’d like to support
If you are not donating from Germany and want to avoid unnecessary banking fees please use transferwise.
A few weeks ago we started our first activities with the kids from Janwaar and – as you can see – the kids really enjoy it!
And if you want to know more about our activities please visit our website or read below or send an email to
we (at) we-magazine (dot) net
Goals of Janwaar Castle
– to improve the children’s and the women’s health
– and their standing in the community
– to bring hope and show possibilities for all the villagers and
– to enable and guide them to solve their problems by themselves and even
– make a decent living out of it.
for the kids
– we provide many things they don’t have at school
– things they don’t even know of (like skateboarding)
– a space where all are the same (no caste and gender issues)
– we make them capable of communicating with “outsiders” (virtually and real)
– this is why learning english is so important ….
on an individual level
– physical fitness because of skateboarding and other sport activities (volleyball)
– exposure – learning YES, I can >>> self esteem
– health >>> extra food (fruits) on 2 days in the week
– learning new things / skills which broaden the horizon
– learning to “imagine”
– connect with foreigners
on the village and community level
– connect the village with the outside world
– establish small businesses
– create a community culture
– clean(er) village