In various Q&A sessions with the teachers we discussed the following we_school principles:
- Celebrate Diversity!
- Learning over education
- Student-centered learning
- Solution-based Learning
- Prototyping and Entrepreneurial thinking within the curriculum
- The “Art of letting go”
- Where do the kids learn?
- Integration of community work within the curriculum
And the big final was a 3 hour open space with the goal to find ideas for implementing “new ways of teaching and learning” tomorrow. I was told that most of the teachers were familiar with the method – however many of them acted very shy. Only 9 of them stepped forward to propose a project.
Maybe it was because we called them in on a holiday;-)
But the results are very promising and the teachers were very engaged when I walked around in the groups. Together with their principal Zarin Shoaib the teachers will follow up on these outcomes:
- Additional learning and working material besides the regular textbooks
- Project Based Learning
- Create “departments” for the various disciplines >>> English department, art department, math department … >>> this way the students can move on in the disciplines they are good at and “remain” in those in which they are not performing well
- Kids teaching kids
- How to motivate students better
- How to improve working in groups
- Concept based learning
- Activity-based curriculum
- Mydah’s project >>> fostering imagination
The next step will be to write a proposal what exactly is meant by these ideas and how they can be translated into daily life.