While I was sitting with Bea in a coffeee house in Timisoara, Romania, we wrote down these do’s and don’ts about my hometown Heidelberg. I am one of those few who were REALLY born there – a rare species;-)
And as you can easily see, I don’t really have a love affair with Heidelberg. Even though it is a great place to live and raise your kids … But you have to leave once in a while;-)
So here we go …
- Visit Karlstorbahnhof or Halle02 for cultural events.
- Enjoy a coffee at “Hörnchen”, Heumarkt.
- Best White Russians in town at “Orange”, Ingrimstrasse.
- Best Indie music at “Sonderbar”, Untere Strasse.
- For those who don’t enjoy “Sonderbar’s” music, walk a few steps down and enter “Weinloch” – undoubtfully a unique experience!
- Have a dinner at “Herrenmühle”, especially in summertime when you can sit in the backyard – best food in town for reasonable prices.
- Take the cog railroad up to Königstuhl and walk downhill via Posselslust and then Neckargemünd.
- If you want to explore suburbs, choose either the old part of Rohrbach or Handschuhsheim.
- A must-see and visit: Heidelberger Zuckerladen, Plöck.
- Walk the famous Philosophenweg and enjoy the incredible light.
- Do not eat at crappy tourist restaurants in the centre of town.
- Absolutely no-go Restaurant: “Roter Ochsen”, Hauptstrasse.
- Leave “quarter chic” Neuenheim alone!
- Head to Neckarwiese on a sunny, hot day unless you want to be crushed!
- Don’t visit town while the students are gone!
- Forget about a boat trip on the Neckar.
- No shopping in Heidelberg! Sorry!
- Don’t understand Heidelberg as a typical German student town – it is Disneyland.
- Even though Cafe Viktoria on Main Street is tempting you, please resist!
- Don’t expect change!